June 2018 Spotlight :: Danielle Koepf
Sales Manager - La-Z-Boy Furniture Galleries
- What do you do? If you own a business, when was it founded and where is it located?
I am a student at SUNY Empire State College in the Business, Management, and Economics program concentrating on Business Administration. I am pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration with an anticipated graduation in the spring of 2019. On top of attending school, I was just promoted to the Sales Manager at La-Z-Boy Furniture Galleries in Amherst.
- Can you go into a bit of detail on your job/profession?
Everyone knows La-Z-Boy for our recliners, but we sell a variety of products including: living room, dining room and bedroom furniture. We have a team of furniture professionals to help customers find furniture for any need and also offer complimentary design services.
- How did you learn about ABWA?
I learned about ABWA from my aunt, Jo-Ann Frys who is the president this year. I first attended the SHINE event last year before deciding to come to a professional development meeting.
- Why did you join ABWA? What interested you about the organization?
I joined ABWA after hearing from my aunt how much of an impact the organization made on her life. I was interested in the organization because of the connections and opportunities the organization offers to professional business women.
- Why did you feel it was important to be a part of this organization?
ABWA is a wonderful way to connect with business women who listen and offer support.
- What would you like other women to know about ABWA?
I think that other women should know that there is a place for everyone at the ABWA. This organization is inclusive of those with all backgrounds. Attending meetings, you are greeted with welcoming smiles and get to learn from and share your knowledge with the members of the group.
- Why did you choose your profession? What do you really love about what you do?
I don’t feel like I chose my profession, it chose me. I started working for my company part time as something to do while in college. After a few months, I found that I really enjoy sales and customer service. I actually ended up completely changing my career path because of the passion that I developed for this company. I love that every day is different, and I get to make an impact in people’s lives no matter how big or small. Some days I may be helping a family find a comfortable recliner for their mom or dad who is coming home from the hospital and others I could be assisting someone with completely redoing their room.
- How long have you been doing it?
I have been working in the furniture industry for three and a half years. I started working at La-Z-Boy as a part time sales associate in 2014 and then moved into the senior sales associate position in the summer of 2016. This week, I was just promoted as the new sales manager at the Amherst store.
- Can you list your education background?
I graduated from Lancaster High School in 2014 with an advanced regents diploma and then started out at D’Youville College studying occupational therapy. I spent two years in the program before deciding to take another direction to pursue my passion in business. After taking a year off of school to work and save money, I started attending SUNY Empire State in the fall of 2017.
- How can people get in touch with you?
I can be reached at work by phone (716) 862-8235 or email email@example.com and also through my personal cell phone (716) 868-6331.
- Favorite Quote
“If we don’t change, we don’t grow. If we don’t’ grow, we aren’t really living” -Gail Sheehy
- What inspires you
I am inspired by hardworking people. Nothing makes me happier than hearing a story of someone who started at the bottom and was able to work their way to success.
- List three truly unique things about you...things that you don't think anyone would every guess about you.
- I love all kinds of animals
- I play two instruments
- I’m pretty handy when it comes to home improvements
- Do you have any hobbies?
I like to read, hike, go to concerts, and spend time with family in my down time.
- Have you traveled anywhere outrageous or fabulous?
My favorite place that I have traveled was New York City on a long weekend trip. I also really enjoy taking camping trips in different places.
- Tell me about your family? Spouse, significant other, children?? Where do you live?
I live in Lancaster, NY with my grandmother.
- Now for some fun facts: What is your favorite TV Show? Favorite Song on the radio? Favorite ice cream flavor? Last movie you went to see at the theater? Last book you read? What is your favorite holiday and why?
My favorite tv show is Grey’s Anatomy. I don’t currently have a favorite song, but I love country music. My favorite ice cream flavor is chocolate. The last book I read was a macroeconomic text book, but I love to read fiction in my spare time. My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving because I get to spend the day with my family and enjoy a good meal.